15.10.10

holding a sleeping baby ...

As a mom, one of the most beautiful things to do, is to hold a sleeping child. 

I remember when we were first getting to know Gina, visiting her at her first foster home, she fell asleep in my arms.  I couldn't put her down.  I took the opportunity at that time to talk with her foster mom and get to know more information about our new little girl, but as I was talking and listening, I was looking down at my beautiful new daughter, sleeping in my arms for the first time.  I was in heaven! 

Since then, I have taken the opportunity to hold every one of my children as they were sleeping.  I have had 13 children over the years.  Holding a sleeping baby is so special.  But, I have learned that holding an older child as they sleep, is just as special. 

I love knowing that I can comfort them, even in their sleep.  I am currently holding little Nik, as he has had a hard time sleeping tonight.  He tossed and turned, and moaned while laying in his crib tonight.  So, I picked him up, and as I hold him, I can comfort him.  Yes, he has still tossed, still tried to turn ... but when the moans begin, I pat him, kiss him, and cuddle with him, and he relaxes again.  I have already had to do this a few times while typing this entry. 

We are, in a way, at our most vulnerable, while we are asleep.  So many things can go through our unconscious mind ... and for a baby, or small child, that can at times be a very frightening thing.  And knowing that I can hold, and comfort a child while going through some of those vulnerable sleeping moments, is priceless. 

1 comment:

  1. That was one of my favorite things while I was visiting Lydia in her foster home, too. I still do it quite a bit, I just put her in bed so I could type this. I love just holding her, stroking her hair and kissing her forehead while she sleeps.

    ReplyDelete