4.11.10

Happy birthday Gracie

One year ago today, a beautiful tiny bay girl was born.  She was born roughly 2 months early.  She was only 3 pounds, 11 ounces at birth.  And, sadly, she was born very addicted to cocaine. 

She was in the NICU for 14 days.  On day 13, I received a phone call, letting me know about her.  The next day, I met her case worker at the hospital, and we prepared her to come home.  I have never seen a baby so SMALL before!  her little fingers, when wrapped around my finger, were impossibly small.  But this little tiny baby needed ME. 

That afternoon, I brought this tiny 4pound 4 ounce baby home.  What a fantastic journey that day began. 

In the last year,  many things have happened.  Gracie is medically fragile.  BUT, that does NOT mean that she is anything less than any other one year old baby!  She has proved that to us time and again over this last year!  She is developmentally delayed, enough so to be a part of DDD (Department of Developmental Disabilities)  but, even with her delays, she has learned how to do things ... her OWN way!  She is resilient, and awe inspiring!

She has grown a lot in the past year.  She went from a teeny little 3 pound 11 ounce baby at birth, to an 18 pound baby at one year!  now THAT is what I call growth! 

We have our work cut out for us with this little one, that is for SURE.  But, I am PROUD to call myself Gracies mommy.  We will officially adopt her within the next few months .. and all that will do is make things "legal" ... I have been her mom since she as 14 days old.  and will FOREVER be her mom.  what a LUCKY MOM I AM!!!!!

We have given Gracie the middle name Anna ... after my sweet grandmother.  Grandma passed away earlier this year, and we were able to attend her funeral.  I was able to stand at the funeral, holding little Gracie Anna, and tell my extended family how PROUD I AM to have the chance to raise a daughter with my grandma's name.  Gracie Anna has some large shoes to fill ... but you know what?  Even at one year old, I KNOW that my grandma would be PROUD of her namesake.  I know that I am. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow what a beautiful story! Are all of your children adopted? You are so brave- I think I would just cry to see a tiny baby addicted to cocaine... even thinking about it makes my heart ache. I am thankful for people like YOU that can do these kinds of things and heal sick children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing story. I have to get the tears to stop flowing first though.....tears of happiness because Gracie is happy to have you as a Mommy!!! You are an amazing person and these children are blessed that you are there Mommy forever. Gracie isn't too smal right now, my daughter was only 17 pounds at a year and she will be 7 next week. Time flies, enjoy every second of every minute of it. You are an amazing person!!!! Happy Birthday to Gracie!!!!

    ReplyDelete